Jesus Christ, the bridge between God and man.

Jesus Christ, the bridge between God and man.
Begin Building

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Singe Life




Singleness is not a sin.  It is not a second-class state of being nor is it a sentence to be served. My departed Grandmother would beg to differ.  She called me when I turned 30 and asked me to come get the china she was saving for my wedding day.   It was taking up space in her cabinet so I might as well start using the stuff.  Still single at 30, she thought I was scarred for life.  I adored my Grandma Day. Although unmarried herself, vibrant in the community and a standard bearer at her church, she still considered singleness to be a burden.  Society, like my grandmother may consider singleness something to be scorned. .  God does not.

Jeremiah 16:1-2

16 The word of the Lord also came to me, saying, “You shall not take a wife, nor shall you have sons or daughters in this place.”

God commanded the Prophet Jeremiah not to marry.  Judah was headed for destruction and exile.  God protects Jeremiah by sheltering him from the pain that would befall him if he had to endure the gruesome death of a wife and child.  Thus, God blesses Jeremiah with singleness. God’s commands are always for our ultimate good.  There is purpose in all His ways.  When we are obedient, God gets the glory.  Unhindered by the responsibility of a family, Jeremiah was able to speak boldly for God in preparation for the judgment to come.  Jeremiah’s singleness was a support and not a weight.  Consider singleness a blessing. The freedom to live a holy life, totally devoted to God is a privilege.  It is not a sin.  It is a precious gift.  Unwrap it and use it.
 
 
SINGLENESS
 
 

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment